Sunday, June 6, 2010

Old, Married Couple

It was no issue being on time that night that I drove to pick her up for bowling. As a matter of fact, I was even a little early! I had everything under control: the place was picked out and I had two friends on the way there. A little over dressed for the occasion with black boots, jeans and a cropped blazer, I pulled up to her house and impatiently waited for her to come out. My normally well mannered heart-beats ripped through my shirt as she got in my car and we drove off.

As we separated into two teams, I realized my team mate was more then just a vision in bowling shoes. She was quite a bowler and the sole reason we were winning. The music got a little louder, the lights lowered and the room began to spin the more drinks we consumed. Somewhere between the bowling, dancing and the laughing, she got a little closer, a little touchier. Convinced that those were all friendly moves, her hand on my lower back was what officially changed my mind.

Our drive home was a little different than normal. With no awkward silence, we playfully bickered back and forth. Laughing, she compared us to an old, married couple and to her, I became like no one she has ever met before. As if we were deprived from all human contact for years, we stayed up until 5 a.m that morning talking about family and life. It was then that I realized she was like no one I have ever met before.

No comments:

Post a Comment