Friday, June 11, 2010

11:45 p.m.

Stealing October's spotlight, November made its breezy appearance, bringing along a full and uncompromisable agenda. With her birthday days away, I was 30,000 feet off the ground and half way to my Northwest destination to see my family.

After nine long months, it felt good to finally be back in my hometown, spending my long awaited Friday night celebrating with my closest friends. The downtown cobblestone path led five laughing girls to a night of bar hopping and as our round of drinks doubled, so did our vision. With the flashing lights guiding us to the dance floor, my cell phone became my only focus and dancing partner.

Wanting to be the first to wish her a happy birthday, I spent my 11th hour of the night obsessively checking my phone for the time. With my anticipation growing, I was unable to wait any longer. Fifteen minutes to November 15th and three rings later, I was loudly singing my own verison of happy birthday in her ear. She seemed shocked that I remembered and managed to be the first one to call especially when I, as well, was out celebrating with my friends.

Being a believer that a special person deserves more then one happy birthday phone call, I followed my previous call with three others. Along with more birthday wishes and obnoxious singing, I promised not to miss her birthday dinner later that week.

No comments:

Post a Comment