Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Native Chief Long Crotch

My silent moment of the day was broken by the loud ringing of the work phone. Annoyingly, I stomped my way to it, expecting a usual customer call. Before I got a chance to recite my greeting, a cheerful voice fluttered into my ear drum.

“Hi. It’s me. What are you doing for lunch?” With a pause of my heart beat, I forced to hide my expanding grin.

“No plans! Do you want to go to lunch?” My voice shook as I agreed to meet her in half an hour for our “lunch date.”

Those thirty minutes seemed liked hours as I nervously waited for her to show up at my counter. I obsessively applied and reapplied my make-up, trying not to look at the security cameras I knew she could see me from. (Although, secretly, I hoped she was watching.)

Wearing her gray skinny pants and a black button up shirt, she popped up behind me, her bright eyes blinding me with every glance. As we walked outside towards the benches, I closed my eyes while the summer breeze blew her scent and I inhaled with ever bit I had of me. We sat at a table in front of Red Robin, the umbrella above us barely shielding us from the sun. Too distracted to even look at our food, we shot scenarios and jokes at each other without hesitation.

“You know what I’ve noticed? As women get older, they start developing a receding crotch. You know… a really short torso and never ending legs!” I said as I got off my chair to demonstrate the walk I have witnessed from the older women. Her contagious laughter and loud clapping of the hands filled the air as I walked back and forth with my goofy wobble.

Our first nick names to each other: Native Chief Long Crotch and Large Crotch.

No comments:

Post a Comment